1 June 2012

Hot Wing Sauce

This recipe is from my brother who LOVES anything spicy. And any kind of spicy food. This hot wing sauce recipe has been floating around my family for a little over 20 years. I'm not sure where it came from or how my brother got it (did he make it up?) but I know that it's good. I've made it for quite a few Grey Cup parties and Super Bowl parties as well as every day get-togethers. My hubby even insists that I make it as a meal for him!! We BBQ chicken drumsticks and then slather on the sauce at the very end. There's always a ton of sauce leftover and he dunks the chicken in it before taking a bite. Way too spicy for me to do that, but I enjoy it off the BBQ or out of the oven.

Hot Sauce
source: my brother G.

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups Red Hot hot sauce
2 1/2 tsp melted butter
2 1/2 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp garlic powder
2 1/2 tbsp ketchup
cayenne pepper to taste (a little does go a long way)

5 lbs chicken wings/drumettes or chicken pieces

Bake wings in greased pan @350F for about 30-35min then broil them until they are brown and flip them. This takes about 15 mins. Or you can cook them on the BBQ (less mess lol). Now you are ready to add the sauce! For the oven method, I actually heat them in batches in a fry pan on the stove. I just add some sauce until they are coated and the sauce is heated. Transfer back to the pan (after removing the leftover grease) and then once they are all coated, I add a little more sauce and pop them back in a 350 oven for just a little bit. Not too long because the meat will fall off the bones before you can eat them. So maybe 10 min. I put them back in so that the sauce will "bake" onto the wings. If you are BBQing, just slather on the sauce towards the end of the cooking so that the sauce doesn't burn.
You will likely have leftover sauce which can be used for dipping. If you are BBQing, take about half the sauce outside with you to BBQ and keep the other half for dipping :)

note: We made these recently but I didn't manage to get a picture. I should have taken a picture of my hubby enjoying these but I don't think he would have been happy LOL. I will update with a picture soon as I know we will be eating these again!

Happy cooking!

0 comments:

Post a Comment