12 July 2012

Strawberry Galette

I love strawberries. But I love them so much more when it is strawberry season! I had some strawberries on hand that I didn't want to lose, so I was thinking pie. Then it hit me. I have some puff pastry in the freezer, let's see what this can do. I found a recipe that was so very simple with very few ingredients, just what I was looking for to showcase the flavour of our local strawberries. The site where I found the recipe (and another site she is an editor for - Simple Bites) is wonderful. The recipes are straight forward and the main ingredient is always the star. I urge you to check out her sites!!

Strawberry Galette
source: www.underthehighchair.com

Ingredients
1lb strawberries, washed and hulled
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp cold butter, cut into pieces
250g puff pastry *see note

Roll out your puff pastry, on a floured surface, to 1/4 inch thick. You can roll it round but I kept mine even simpler, a rectangle. Once rolled, place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and chill for 30 mins.
Preheat your oven to 350F.
Slice the strawberries length-wise, 1/4 inch thick. Toss them with the sugar and cornstarch and arrange them on your puff pastry right away. You can place them in concentric circles or since I did my pastry in a rectangle, I did lines. And slightly overlap your strawberries, which ever way you choose to place your strawberries. Be sure to start placing your strawberries 1 inch away from the edge of the dough. Once they are all placed, fold the edge of the dough over the berries.
Whisk the egg yolk and water together, then brush over the dough. Now you can dot your berries with the butter pieces.
Place in the oven and cook about 40 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown.

*note: my box of puff pastry had 2 sections for a total of 397g. I ended up using both sides, making 2 galettes. I had a little over a 1lb of strawberries and it turn out great!

0 comments:

Post a Comment