14 January 2013

Quinoa Greek Salad

I copied out this recipe at a coffee group potluck because it was that good. I had never really tried quinoa before I had this salad because I was afraid of it. I know that sounds ridiculous but I was afraid I wouldn't like it. And I hate when I don't like a food. But L. brought in this gorgeous looking salad and when she said it was made with quinoa, I knew this was my chance. I couldn't stop eating it. It was so fresh and light. A really beautiful summer salad. Oddly enough, I didn't make it again until this past week. It makes a large dish and I'm the only one who eats it.
I have decided to eat better this year, so it was the perfect thing to make. It was suggested to me years ago by a doctor to remove carbs from 1 meal a day. Pretty simple but for whatever reason, I don't always. It's more about convenience and not making more than 1 meal. But now I'm making more of an effort.

Quinoa Greek Salad
source: my friend L.

Ingredients
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup quinoa
1/2 cup diced red pepper
1/2 cup diced green pepper
1/2 diced English cucumber
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1/4 cup sliced black olives
1/4 cup diced red onion
2/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
1 to 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/3 cup fresh basil or parsley, chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
pinch pepper

Bring the stock to a boil and stir in the quinoa. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender and liquid is absorbed. Transfer to a large serving dish and set aside to cool.
Once cool, add the veggies and feta.
For the dressing: Whisk the lemon zest and juice, oil, garlic, basil/parsley, oregano and pepper in a bowl.
You can make the dressing while the quinoa is cooking.
Pour the dressing over the quinoa mixture and toss.
Garnish with fresh basil or parsley if you like.

This makes a lot of salad, perfect for a pot luck.

Happy cooking!

0 comments:

Post a Comment