2 January 2013

Super fantastic flour tortillas

We are big fans of the tortilla in our house. We LOVE them. I can put pretty much anything into a tortilla and hand it to my kids. So I've tried my share of tortillas and had a tough time finding one that wouldn't rip or fall apart. That's when a fellow foodie (who is also a great friend) shared her family's tortilla recipe on her blog. I had tried a low fat recipe about a week before I tried hers and it was OK, but of course, still cracked when folded. So I had high hopes for this recipe. And it delivered. Big time!!!!
It's a little work, but definitely worth it. They taste fantastic. I hate when I don't have time to make them and have to go back to packaged tortillas, they are that good. I haven't tried freezing them yet as we eat them once they are made. But I will get to it soon. Planning some freezer days coming up.
Try this recipe as soon as you can. Let me know if you love it as much as I do!

Easy Flour Tortillas
source: http://frenchpressing.wordpress.com
Makes approx. 9 tortillas

Ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup warm water

Put the flour into a mixing bowl and cut in the shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until it resembles small peas.
Add enough water so that the dough starts to come together. You may not need all the water or you may need more - depends on your flour.
Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead a few times until smooth.
Make about 9 balls and brush with some melted shortening. Let rest, covered, for 20 mins.
Roll out the balls one at a time and cook in a frying pan over medium heat. Keep a close eye on your tortilla, once you see some air pockets and a little golden colour, flip to cook the other side. Be sure to check for colouring again and then remove from pan.
I like to keep the tortillas warm, so I place them in a clean tea towel while I roll and cook each one.

Happy cooking!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment