28 February 2012

Baked Chicken Parmesan - nice and light!

I am on a quest to lighten up our menus at home. I know that not all of my recipes will be light but I will try to add more to our favourites list. And for those recipes that aren't "light", I usually change up what I can for lighter versions.
I have quite the collection of new and old cookbooks (healthy and not), and I want to put them to good use. But before I head to those, I thought I would share a recipe from a great site that has incredibly flavourful recipes, www.skinnytaste.com. It is wonderful! Be sure to check out her light recipes, both savoury and sweet. I decided to make chicken paremsan as I was totally craving my Uncle Frankie's marinara sauce (it's to die for) and chicken of course ;)
There are a few steps to the process but definitely worth it.


Baked Chicken Paremsan
source: www.skinnytaste.com

Ingredients
4 chicken breasts halves, sliced in half
3/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp butter, melted
3/4 cup light mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 cup marinara sauce
cooking spray

   Preheat the oven to 450F. Spray a large baking sheet lightly with spray.
   Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in bowl. Melt the butter in another bowl. Lightly brush the butter onto the chicken, then dip into breadcrumbs mixture. Place on a baking sheet and repeat with the remaining chicken.
   Lightly spray a little more cooking oil in top and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Turn chicken over and bake another 5 minutes. Remove from the oven, spoon sauce over chicken and top it with some shredded cheese. Bake another 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
I served this with a little pasta on the side with some marinara sauce and a salad.

Happy Cooking!

0 comments:

Post a Comment