15 February 2012

Quick and Easy Chicken Enchiladas

I do my best to menu plan on Sundays. I will actually start posting my menu plan here on a weekly basis so that I can share it with you and maybe you can share back with me some time. I hope that it will give you some new meal ideas for your families. I do have some recipes that I have cooked in advance and keep in the freezer and there are others that are great last minute recipes. This is one of those recipes. I actually discovered it when I was living on my own in St. Henri, near downtown Montreal. I didn't have cable and was working full time (and then some) and going to cooking school full time. I needed something quick and any leftovers would have to freeze well. This did the trick. It is now a favorite in our house as we all really enjoy it. And the best thing is that you can use a rotisserie chicken! This definitely speeds things up.

Easy Chicken Enchiladas
source: adapted from Kraft Canada

Ingredients
3/4 - 1 cups sour cream (I use light), we use 3/4 cup and if the chicken is still dry, we add more.
2 cups chopped, cooked chicken (I use rotisserie chicken - saves so much time)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 cup salsa, divided
1 tsp ground cumin
12 6-inch flour tortillas (I use only 8 of the medium Old El Paso flour tortillas)
1 tomato, diced (optional - we don't use)
Some shredded lettuce (optional - we don't use)

   Preheat your oven to 350F. Spray a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
   Mix sour cream, cooked chicken, 1 cup of cheese, 1/4 cup of salsa and cumin in a bowl. Spoon about 1/4 cup of the mixture into each tortilla and roll up.
   Place the tortillas seam side down in the greased baking dish and top with remaining salsa. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and sprinkle with remaining cheese and put back into the oven until cheese has melted.

This comes together in next to no time and cooks just as fast as you can see. I like to buy rotisserie chicken when it is on special or at the end of the day when they are 50% off. Simply de-bone the chicken and freeze it. I made this recipe on Monday using chicken that I had frozen back on Dec 18 and it was perfect!!

Happy cooking!

0 comments:

Post a Comment