4 February 2012

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins

Just after Christmas, I purchased The Looneyspoons Collection cookbook. It is a combination of old but updated recipes and some new ones.
I made these mostly for my kids but of course my DH and I eat them as well. The only thing that I changed was instead of regular muffin tins, I used my mini muffin tins. The larger muffins were just too much for my kids. And I also have a great stash in the freezer!!
These muffins taste amazing and are very moist. And you can't go wrong with chocolate chips now can you!

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins
from the Looneyspoons Collection cookbook

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups quick cooking rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup 1% milk
1/2 cup puréed canned peaches (see * below)
1 egg
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups Nutri Flour Blend (see ** below)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
* Drain the canned peaches well and purée them using a blender, hand blender or food processor.
** Nutri Flour Blend is made by Robin Hood. If you don't have any, you can use a mix of 1 cup of all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour.

   Preheat oven to 375F. Spray your muffin tins (regular or mini) with some cooking spray and set aside.
   Pour the milk over the oats and stir. Let it sit for 20 mins. Once 20 mins have passed, stir in the puréed peaches, egg, butter and vanilla. Set aside.
   Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Add oat mixture and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in the chocolate chips. The batter should be thick.
   Divide the batter in your 12 muffin cups or your mini muffins. I was able to make 48 mini muffins this last batch.
   Bake for 20 minutes (or approx 10 minutes for the mini muffins), or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean. Once cool enough to touch, remove muffins from pan and let cool on wire rack.
   If you are lucky enough to have some leftover after the first wave of trying them (over and over again), I suggest freezing some. Just pop 'em in the microwave for a quick warm and they taste like they are fresh out of the oven all over again!

I can't tell you enough how much I love the Looneyspoons books. A definite purchase!! Healthy recipes full of taste makes a great cookbook.

Happy baking!

0 comments:

Post a Comment