27 April 2012

Broccoli Salad

I am not always a fan of broccoli salad, sometimes it's way too sweet and I just don't enjoy it when savory foods are too sweet. So I make my version a little less sweet, but still very tasty!!
I picked up this tried and true recipe from my hubby's Tante Helene. She has a ton of family recipes and loves to cook, so she's a great resource for recipes. With summer just around the corner, I will be making this soon, so I will have a picture to add as soon as I do!
Edited April 30/2012: Picture has now been added!

Broccoli Salad
source: Tante Helene

Ingredients
2 to 3 broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
1 cup orange cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 lb bacon, cut into small pieces
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sugar (I start with a little more than half this amount and add more if it needs it)
1 to 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice

Optional: unsalted sunflower seeds, minced red onion, craisins or raisins

Place the broccoli in a large bowl.
Mix the mayonnaise, sugar and lemon juice together in a small bowl. Taste and add more sugar if you like.
Add the mayonnaise mixture to the broccoli and stir to incorporate. Add in the bacon and mix. Now add in the cheese and gently mix. If you were adding in any of the optional items, then I would add it at the same time as the bacon.

Happy cooking!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment