7 April 2012

Ground Beef Stroganoff

I found this recipe through www.onceamonthmom.com when I was looking for some easy to freeze and keep on hand meals. I wasn't sure how my hubby was going to like it, but when I finally made it, he said that it was out of this world. But I hadn't made it since. No real reason, I think I just forgot about it. Silly me. I was stuck the other day and not sure what to make. I knew that I had lean ground beef ready to use and then I remembered that I had mushrooms. Ding! (insert light above head here). I threw this meal together in no time flat. And it was a huge hit with the kids again and now my mother-in-law!!



Ground Beef Stroganoff
source: found initially http://onceamonthmom.com (here) but recipe
 is from http://stolenmomentscooking.com (here)

Ingredients
1 lb lean ground beef
1 large onion, diced (I tend to do more of a mince)
1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp Italian seasoning
3 tbsp flour
1 1/2 cups beef stock (I used a light version)
2 tsp red wine vinegar
1 cup sour cream (I used light)

1/2 lb egg noodles, cooked and drained (we used whole wheat, no yolk)

In a large skillet, add ground beef, onion, mushroom and garlic. Cook until the ground beef is completely browned. Add salt and pepper along with the Italian seasoning. Do not drain the liquid from the pan. You need it.
Stir in the flour and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Slowly pour in beef stock and red wine vinegar. Stir then bring to a boil and simmer until thickened.
Stir in the sour cream until combined. Add your cooked noodles and mix well. Remove from the heat.

To make freezer friendly - Once the sour cream has been stirred in, allow to cool completely. Place in freezer bags or containers and freeze them. When you are ready to eat, thaw the mixture and then reheat on the stove. Add in your egg noodles and mix.

Happy cooking!

0 comments:

Post a Comment