15 April 2012

Slow Cooker Pork Roast

Today was a busy day for me. I bake like a crazy lady on Fridays and Saturdays, package everything up Saturday night and then run to the market on Sunday morning for 8am, all with a 2 and 3 year old in tow. So when I come back on Sunday, I really don't feel like cooking a big meal but definitely want to eat one. So the easiest thing for me, is to break out my slow cooker. Now I love the idea of a slow cooker but for some reason, always chose the worst recipes to try and ended up putting my slow cooker away for quite a few years. Then I decided to try again. My slow cooker and I are now pretty good friends. Especially now that I have found a few good websites for recipes that I trust. But today, I decided to venture off and kinda do one on my own. I found a few recipes here and there, and decided to put my own together. And really, it's so simple that I didn't even really put anything together. It's quick and easy and really budget friendly. My boneless pork loin roast cost $5.65. And the rest is very inexpensive. I probably should have used a larger roast but I went with what I had on hand. I served it with some corn and baked potatoes. I think mashed would have been very good but my kids prefer baked. My mother-in-law loved this and so did I. My daughter loved the sauce so much that she was dipping her corn in it! Another winner here for us!


Quick and Easy Slow Cooker Pork Roast
source: Sandra @ Little Bit Little Bite

Ingredients
1 - 3 or 4 pound boneless pork loin roast, trimmed of fat
1 pouch of onion soup mix
2 cups water
few dashes of Worcestershire sauce
salt & pepper
for the gravy: cornstarch and water

I used a 6 qt. slow cooker for this roast.
Place the roast in the slow cooker. Add a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce to the roast and some salt and pepper. Measure 2 cups of water and add the pouch of onion soup mix. Stir and pour over the pork roast. Put the lid and turn the slow cooker on. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6.
Once done, remove the pork roast to a plate and tent with foil. Pour the remaining liquid into a small saucepan and put heat on high. Mix 1 tbsp cornstarch with 1 tbsp cold water. Once the sauce has heated up, add the cornstarch mixture (or slurry in cooking) and stir. Your sauce will thicken. If it's still not thick enough for you, simply repeat the step above and create another slurry and add it to your sauce. It took 2 slurry mixtures to get my sauce to the right consistency.
You can either cut your meat and serve with the sauce or you can roughly shred your meat, put it back into the now empty slow cooker and then add your sauce. Mix a little and serve.

Happy Cooking!

0 comments:

Post a Comment